If you are interested in learning how to build a good resume, or if you are looking for your first job and need help getting started, contact one of our Employment Consellors at our Gravenhurst or Sundridge locations. Also check our online calendar to find workshops on how to write resumes and cover letters, offered at each of our locations.
Below is a list of things that will help you prepare for your meeting with a counsellor:
- Ensure you have an accurate mailing address for your resume, including street address, town, postal code and an email address, if you have one.
- Have a clear objective in mind about the kind of work and position you are interested in.
- Write down a list of skills that you have to offer employers. This list does not have to be limited to skills you acquired at a job. It can include life skills you have obtained through education, volunteer work, raising a family, or through a hobby.
- Bring a list of places you have worked, including the company name, location and the dates you worked there, as well as the position you held and the duties you were responsible for.
- Bring a list of hobbies and interests.
- Provide a list of individuals you can use as references. These should include past employers and/or personal references. Please include their names, the company they work for and the position they hold within that company.
If you are ready to start building your resume, you may wish to utilize the following links to resume and cover letter templates (in .zip format). The first is a professional resume template, which lists your work experience first, in reverse chronological order. The second is a functional resume, which highlights your skills first.
Functional resumes are a good choice for people who:
- Have gaps in their work history
- Recently graduated from school
- Are re-entering the workforce
- Have frequently changed jobs
- Are looking to transition into new careers
- Don’t exactly fit the mold of what recruiters are looking for in the positions they want.
Want more information? Contact us or stop by one of our offices!!
|Sundridge Employment Office104 Main Street, P.O. Box 9
P0A 1Z0Tel: 705-384-1110
Fax: 705 384-2228
|Gravenhurst Employment Office2-410 Muskoka Road South
P1P 1J4Tel: 705 687-6350
Fax: 705 687-4250